Chamber Health Plan
About Chamber Blue of Kansas
The Newton Area Chamber of Commerce is participating in Chamber Blue of Kansas – Blue Cross Blue Shield’s first Association Health Plan (AHP) for Chambers of Commerce.
As a member of the Kansas Chamber Execs Association (CCEKS), our Chamber pooled with 53 other Chambers of Commerce from across the state to decrease risk and offer health insurance to our members. If you are an area business that is not in Newton, the Hesston Chamber of Commerce is also participating!
The plan kicked off on January 1st, 2023. Overall, 56 Chamber participated in first year enrollment. 44 of these Chambers had groups enroll in Chamber Blue in 2023, with a total of 257 businesses and over 2,700 contracts.
In 2024, 59 Chambers will be participating in the interest survey and enrollment process.
The Chamber Blue of Kansas AHP has now been in effect since January 1st, 2023. As we approach the fall, a new timeline has been set for parties interested in joining the plan effective January 1st, 2024.
July 1st – August 18th, 2023: Interest Survey Results Collected *New/Interested Groups only* – INTEREST SURVEY FOR 2024 IS NOW CLOSED –
September 2023 – Rating based on Interest Surveys
October 2023 – Renewal communication to existing groups, and enrollment communication for new businesses
November 1st – 15th, 2023 – Enrollment: New Groups & Renewals
December 1st, 2023: Rates Finalized
December 22nd, 2023: Member welcome materials and ID cards are mailed.
January 1st, 2024: Coverage begins for new members
For those currently enrolled in the Chamber Blue of Kansas AHP:
You do not need to take any further action until Blue Cross reaches out to you regarding your coverage renewal in October of 2023. The interest survey that will close on August 18th is only for new parties interested in joining the AHP. If you have any questions, please contact your Blue Cross Representative.
Information for those interested in joining the AHP for coverage beginning January 1st, 2024:
The interest survey for coverage beginning January 1st, 2024 is now closed. If you are interested in participating in the Chamber Blue of Kansas AHP, check back here for information about joining the plan in 2025.
2024 Renewal Changes
- Renewal will be age banded (5-year age bands) based on average age of the group. The rates will be composite rated, the same as in 2023.
- Limit to groups of 50 employees or less. Groups currently enrolled with over 50 employees, will be grandfathered and can remain.
- Underwriting process – BCBSKS will review the risk of groups – if the risk of the group is within 10% of the risk of the association, they will be accepted, if the risk is higher, they will be denied.
- Groups with 10 or more employees will complete census.
- Groups with 9 or fewer employees will complete health profiles.
How the AHP Works:
Employers band together to purchase insurance
- This allows for more people in the pool
- The more people included, the more options, and potentially lower cost
The Chamber Blue of Kansas AHP is available to all employers who:
- Employ two or more W2 employees
- Are members in good standing of a participating chamber
- *Have 50 employees or less. (Those enrolled in 2023 with over 50 employees are grandfathered in – your coverage will not be effected).
Regulated by the Kansas Insurance Department and Department of Labor, this AHP provides more value for you and your business:
- A dedicated account management team – one-on-one support – telephone, virtual or on-site
- More choice with five health insurance plan options
- Stability of rates with a larger pool of participants
- Composite rating – A uniform rate for the group based on average risk rather than rating each member individually
- Attract and retain top talent with your insurance benefit offering: health, dental, life and disability
- Marketing and communications support: promoting the health insurance plan to your
employees with a resource website
If at any time you have questions regarding the Chamber Blue of Kansas AHP, feel free to reach out to your Blue Cross Representative. If you do not have a representative assigned/do not currently have coverage with Blue Cross Blue Shield, reach out to our office at (316) 283-2560 and we can be sure you are connected with someone who can answer your questions!
For more information and resources:
For more information about Chamber Blue of Kansas, visit: